MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, April 29, 2013

Eugene half marathon


Yesterday I completed my THIRD half marathon!  I'm still a little shocked at even saying that.  There are certain moments in this healthy life journey where I realize how far I have come and it's amazing.  Saturday evening as Jacob and I walked to Hayward field to check out the start/end zone for the half marathon on Sunday I had a moment.  I told Jacob that three years ago I would never in my biggest dreams pictured myself in Eugene getting ready to run a half marathon, let alone my third.  It was a good moment for me.  

I was more nervous for this half marathon because my training wasn't as strict as my first two.  I went in almost viewing it as training for my next half in May, and I learned so much that I hope will bring me to a PR for the rock n roll half May 19th.  First lesson: these aren't small races like here in Southern Oregon...an hour  plus is needed pre-race to arrive to make sure you can use the bathrooms and find your corral and get around with the thousands of people.  Second lesson: use the bathrooms in that hour so that you don't start the race having to go because you didn't have time to wait in line.  Third lesson: if you do have to use the bathroom, stop before the 6 mile mark so your legs don't cramp up as bad as stopping at mile 10.  If you notice a lot of these lessons have to do with bathroom talk...it's what plagued me this race.  Without realizing, we arrived 40 minutes early thinking that would be plenty of time.  We were wrong.  There were 6000+ runners and all their friends/family etc. and very little amount of bathrooms.  It took us 15 minutes just to get to the bathroom area with the crowds only to find lines that would take another 20 minutes.  So...we decided to suck it up and go find our corral.  I knew I had to go but tried to ignore it the whole race until mile 10 when I finally decided to stop.  As soon as I stopped my legs cramped up so badly that I lost out on that 10:48 pace I had going.  The first 9 miles felt so great to me, and I was running at a pace I felt was really manageable which gives me hope for next months half.

I'm still SO proud of my finish though.  I managed a time of 2:28:16 which is about 40 seconds slower than my fastest half marathon, and still over 5 minutes faster than my first half marathon!  I am so grateful and happy I decided to run the Eugene half for the experience alone.  The first 9 and a half miles of the course were AMAZING...there were no areas where we ran that there weren't people with signs, cow bells, costumes and more cheering us on.  Kids gave us high fives, signs made me laugh and all the cheering kept me going.  Seeing all the support for Boston was amazing as well...it's truly touching to see that people will not fear what happened...we will run on with love.  The last 5k of the race was a lot quieter once it hit a small greenway type path that left access hard for cheering on, but the last .4 mile to the finish was TRULY amazing.  The streets were lined with crowds yelling and cheering and as you reached the entrance to Hayward field a band was playing and you enter the famous track where the Olympic trials are held to see yourself on a jumbotron with hundreds of people cheering on.  My legs were so cramped up at this point it was all I could do to make it to the finish but it made it all worth it crossing that finish line and getting that medal (which I wore proudly the rest of the day).  I even remembered to finish with my hand over my heart for Boston!  I've never experienced so much support and it was amazing to run with such great runners.  Until mile 10.5 where we split off we ran with full marathoners and it was so inspiring to hear the conversations and planning.  All I could think was...how are they doing another half marathon!?  I was in awe :)

I felt so grateful after the race to be a part of such an amazing community that is running.  We went to a brewery for lunch and there were lots of runners that came filtering in wearing their medals and we all cheered and high fived one another and it made me smile.  It truly was my favorite race to date even though I didn't reach my time goal and that last three miles felt more like six....the experience was worth it all.  I am so ON FIRE for my next half in three weeks.  I am going to have a couple amazing training runs and I know I will PR next month :)

I want to shout out first to my amazing running buddy Andi...I had wanted someone local that could motivate, inspire and support me with my running the same way I could for them and I truly feel like I found that.  She got a PR on Eugene yesterday and I am SO PROUD of her.  You go girl!  Secondly to her other half Cassie...seeing you cheering me on at the end, and helping me out in my post race fog meant so much to me.  What an amazing couple you two are and I know Jacob and I are so grateful for your friendships.  Natalie and Julie welcomed us all back home with a wonderful BBQ and helped us celebrate an amazing day - they too are such a wonderful couple and we so appreciate them and their friendship.  Thank you to my family and friends that texted, called, followed my run yesterday, watched the finish live, and cheered me on from home...I was thinking of each of you as I ran yesterday and all I can say is I love you guys and you ROCK!  Lastly but definitely the most important shot out is to my sweetie.  He follows me with no question on my crazy race dreams with more enthusiasm and support than I could ever ask for.  He brought his bike yesterday and nearly every mile until the last few I saw him along the course.  He took pictures, high-fived and cheered Andi and me on and I am SO grateful for his support.  I married the best guy I know and I couldn't do it without him!  I love you Jacob :)

Now for pictures...enjoy them:

Jacob and heading off to Eugene :)


Pre-race excitement the day before the half


















Andi and I at the start before running

Andi and I a few miles in and we are happy runners :)


Jacob and his amazing photo skills...half way through the race


Still going strong 8+ miles in to the race :)

Coming to the finish at Hayward field 
Best medal...I am pretty dang proud :
Yay!  Eugene half marathon official finisher :)

No comments:

Post a Comment